Sunday, November 11, 2012

Now, where is that darn line…

Nothing big going on really, just wanted share something for which I would appreciate your prayers.  I’m having good days & bad days recently.  My problem is that when I have a good day, I’m having a hard time knowing when I should stop…a hard time recognizing where that line is...the one where if I cross it I’ve done too much.

For example, this past Friday I felt pretty good.  Brian needed me to bring him something for the football game that night.  I decided that while I was out I would run by Hobby Lobby to pick up some supplies, by the store to pick up a few groceries & by Walgreens to pick up some prescriptions.  I did great at Hobby Lobby.  I felt fine.  I then ran by the grocery store.  I did fairly well while in the store.  However, as I was standing in the checkout line, I felt myself starting to struggle.  I got the groceries in the car & went through the drive through at Walgreens.  By the time I got to the house, it was all I could do to get the groceries in the house.
 
So, I must have crossed that proverbial line somewhere between when I left Hobby Lobby & when I got home.  I just couldn’t see the darn thing.  As a result I have tanked pretty much all this weekend.  I got up Saturday morning & ate breakfast, then went back to bed & slept for about 4.5 hours. I slept until 10:30 Sunday morning, ate lunch, then went back to bed & slept another 4 hours.  I would say call me Sleeping Beauty, but that might be pushing it.
 
Please pray for me that I will learn to recognize where that line is & not cross it.  Unfortunately crossing that line prevents me from doing the things I really want to do…like go to church this morning.  Its really frustrating.

Thank you dear ones!  I love & appreciate you so very much!

 

5 comments:

Thorny_Nettles said...

I can relate, though not in such drastic terms. Last year the chiropractor treated me for six months with my hands going numb and tingly or feeling like they were on fire when I slept. Then he realized it was likely a herniated disk in my neck. Also diagnosed with carpal tunnel, which also causes some of the same symptoms in my hands. So with tonight's freeze approaching, I did a whole lot of necessary yard work, including digging a few hundred little holes to put bulbs and plants and things into before the ground froze over. At the same time we're remodeling my closet where the shower line busted a while back and ruined the walls and floor, so I'm sanding and painting a lot too. All that to say, one day my hand was bothering me a little but the next day it was SO much worse. I crossed one of those invisible lines too. If I could see it, I too would stop just short, knocking out all the work I could and then respecting the line and all it entails. Back to frequent icings (which aren't as pleasant in the cold months as in the hot ones) of the neck and wrist. It's not like we flaunt the line, shaking our fists in its face, so you'd think it would cut us some slack! At very least, it's nice sometimes to take time out from whining and/or praying about my pain to lift you up, and I know you do the same!

DUSTY said...

Jana, I too know how hard it is to stop. Most of us are just used to doing and not stopping. What all of us with disabilities need to learn is to do one "job" and stop and let our body catch up with us, otherwise it makes us pay. I know, I know !! A very hard lesson to learn. I can remember a time when I could go through my house and clean the whole thing in one day. Now I am lucky if I can get one room done in a day. I push, like all of us do, but I pay in the end. I have problems with my back and my knees. And my mind thinks I am still in my twenties and ready to go. I wish !! I will keep you in my prayers as always and hope that thing get better for you with time. Take care. (((Hugs)))

Karen said...

So sorry to hear that you are struggling. It is hard to miss church too--I know. My husband is the minister, so when the kids are sick, I am the one to always stay at home. One thing I am thankful for is the internet. Our church has a website where some of the ministers post sermons. Sermonaudio.com is another one. It is better than nothing, but doesn't replace the fellowship.

Praying that you will have help so you can do most of the things you want to do, anyway.

Pam in IL said...

Jana, I know how difficult it is to know where that line is. I like Dusty's suggestion of doing one job and stopping before going on to the next.

I pray that you will find that line or recognize the subtle signs that you're reaching the limit so that you can stop before you over-do.

[[[[HUGS]]]]

Unknown said...

Jana.....have you checked with your Doctor? This could be a mild form of depression. You can't always tell yourself what's wrong but a check in with the Doctor might help him see it. Please think about it, OK?